Hello there Reader.
I was writing the other day about having fully recharged hobby batteries for 2014, but I had been beating around the bush when it came to sitting down and actually painting something, even if I had been assembling and priming stuff i’ll be working on soon.
It turns out we had the “Carnaval” holiday here in Brazil a couple of weekends ago. Yes, you’ve probably heard the word before either in Portuguese or translated into english as “Carnival” or “Brazilian Carnival” and yes, I know the images the word brings to mind as most people abroad tend to associate two things to Brazil: “Carnaval” and football (soccer for the Americans who read me!).
I know what you’re thinking. Yes we have beautiful women too.
But I digress… however, for the reasons of this article you should know Carnival is a holiday here in Brazil, so while most Brazilians will revel and drink
and piss on the streets, there’s a few of us who will stay at home and do other stuff we like. No, not all Brazilians like Carnival. So it turns out I was approached by a good friend, Silvio from the Roleplay store in Brazil, who wanted to know if I fancied participating in a second “Paint the Target” challenge during the holiday, a “Carnival Challenge”.
The “Paint the Target” series of articles is an initiative thought up by Silvio and another fellow hobbyist, Marlon from the “Evil Fluffy Creatures” blog, in which over a period of time hobbyists will work on a pre-arranged miniature and after the set amount of time goes by we all show each other our interpretations of the said miniature.
This time there would be four people taking part in the challenge: Me, Marcos (from the “Chumbo, Plástico Tinta & Pincel” blog) and we would paint the Warboss miniature from the “Assault on Black Reach” starter box for the 5th edition of Warhammer 40.000 (Marcos was painting something different as he didn’t have the Warboss model but it would still be an ork). Now if you’ve been reading this blog for a very long time there’s the slight chance you’ll remember I had already worked on such a model before.
Back in 2008 (that’s 6 years ago) I converted one to give as a gift to another fellow wargamer, who was at the time an Ork enthusiast but who has ever since drifted away from the hobby, and I
talked wrote about it here on the blog on an article called “And so this is Christmas” (it was probably Cristmas back then… or not).
I was really keen on revisiting this miniature and started working on it on Saturday, March the 1st, the first day of the “Carnaval” holiday.
When the time came to give some thought to what I’d do I decided I wouldn’t add any radical conversions to it, wanting to paint the actual model this time, however, I did alter slightly the position of the Ork’s head posing it to actually look at the direction he’s pointing his power klaw at, as if he’s barking orders at his Ork Boys.
That was achieved by gluing the head at an angle and filling the gap with greenstuff (a job I did with a couple of layers of liquid greenstuff). Having sorted the look I wanted for the model it was time to put brush to it and start working as time was quickly going by.
One problem that presented itself was how I’d paint the model as I would be spending the holiday on my hometown and it would be difficult to take all my paints there with me, so I decided to try two Vallejo paint sets I’ve been meaning to use for a while: The “Game Color Intro Set” (with basic acrylic colors for fantasy figures) and the “Extra Opaque Basecoat Color” set.
I’ll do a proper review of these sets soon but for now it suffices to say that I loved them for presenting all the basic colors one would need to start painting miniaturas and that I’m in love with the paints from the “Opaque Basecoat Set” as they do what they’re intended to in a couple of applications.
I began painting as I do all figures, from the inside out, beginning with the skin and then going for the metals, clothes and so on. While waiting for paint to dry I started working on the base, again nothing fancy.
And here’s the final result. I’m quite happy with how this model turned out especially because of the skin tone I managed to paint and the stripes on the pants (that my daughter immediately called “clown pants”). I’ll let you guys be the judges:
I’ll wrap this up apologizing for the quality of the photographs. I really need to work on a better set up and lighting solution in order to photograph my models. I’d also like to thank Marlon and Silvio for the invitation. It was a joy to participate in this 2nd “Paint the Target” and I definitely look forward to participate in other opportunities. The final results have been published on the “Evil Fluffy Creatures” blog so you can check the models painted by the other participants, which look pretty good (I’m especially fond of Silvio’s conversion and paintjob).
Guess that’s it for today guys.
Over and out.